The office workplace environment can be surprisingly unhealthy. You are sat at your desk all day, staring at a computer screen, surrounded by papers and distractions and a lack of fresh air. Additionally, when we become so busy it can become easy to not notice just how much unhealthy food we end up snacking on to get us through the day. So what can you do to turn around this unhealthy environment we spend five days a week in? Have a look at our handy hints on healthiness in the workplace and implement some of these small changes to make a big difference to your healthiness levels at work! Click here!
So now you know the top tips for a healthier day at work, what changes can you make in your diet to make your day as effective as possible and boost your brainpower? According to BBC Good Food, these top ten foods will give you the nutrients you need to keep your brain happy!
- Wholegrains – the brain cannot work without energy, so choosing foods that release energy at a steady pace throughout the day is crucial. Wholegrains such as ‘brown’ cereals, wheat bran, granary bread and brown pasta have a low score on the Glycaemic Index which means they keep blood sugar levels steady and can even help your body metabolise fat more efficiently.
- Oily fish – essential fatty acids cannot naturally be made by the body and oily fish such as salmon, trout, mackerel and sardines contain these in a form our body can use easily. These can ensure healthy brain function and reduce the likelihood of Alzheimer’s disease and memory loss.
- Blueberries – according to research, blueberries can be effective in improving short term memory. They also make the perfect snack during the day at work!
- Tomatoes – strong research shows that the antioxidant lycopene found in tomatoes can help protect the damage to brain cells which leads to development of Alzheimer’s disease.
- Vitamin B – reducing your levels of homocysteine in the blood could help reduce your risk of cognitive impairment. This can be done through certain B vitamins; B6 Vitamins which can be found in bananas, lean red meat, egg yolks and chick peas, B12 Vitamins found in dairy products and red meat and Folic Acid through leafy green and orange juice.
- Blackcurrants – another great snack during the working day and one full of vitamin C to increase mental agility.
- Pumpkin seeds – just one handful each day sprinkled on your cereal or porridge for breakfast will provide the recommended daily dose of zinc to enhance your memory skills.
- Broccoli – improve your brainpower by having broccoli in your evening meal!
- Sage – a sprinkle of sage on your dinner has a good reputation in improving memory.
- Nuts – a great source of vitamin E which studies show may help prevent cognitive decline.
Share with us know your top tips for staying healthy at work too!